Please get in touch if you would like more detail about any of the projects listed below, which are only briefly summarised to give an idea of the type of projects undertaken.
Within the contraints of client confidentiality, I would be happy to share as much as I can if you have a similar requirement to any of the below.
Microsoft Access is used to create the front-ends, and the data is held in SQL Server. The system also links to the industry software to pick up transactions that can provide the budget to actual reporting, and the rest of the sales analysis.
Previously this information had been shared manually by spreadsheet, and involved time-consuming administration each day. Now the data is simply imported from the financial system, and the sales reports are updated to the representatives' mobile phones, giving them full visibility of performance to the close of business the previous day, and the administration is a matter of ten or fifteen minutes each morning now.
Having identified some potential providers, we then supported the client through the selection process and found a new company with whom they have been working successfully for a number of years now.
Certain datasets were being copied and duplicated for new projects, and there was little control beyond the experience of the users in ensuring that the right material was being used.
The data was moved into a SQL Server database, so that there was only one place in which it was stored. It was also federated by year, enabling the simple comparison of one year against another, and also preventing any doubt as to which year's data was being used.
Queries and reports were automated, and high-quality outputs were created automating to a large extent the reports that were provided to the firm's clients.
We were able to build a data warehouse that could be interrogated with relative ease, and the administrative saving was enormous. The project used an open source Business Intelligence tool called Pentaho.
We built a solution in Microsoft Access which maintains the recipes and the inventory, and allocates ingredients to the production batches and manages the stock accordingly.
We built a shift management system for this client, which replaced manual timesheets, and eliminated the delay in obtaining management information that had previously been caused by the length of time it took to process the data by hand.
Data can be updated onsite by the shift or project managers, and is immediately available in the central database (the database here is hosted on the internet, and the user interfaces are written in Microsoft Access.
The system we have built is MS Access-based with a SQL Server back-end, and replaces an older Access solution. it manages not only the dates and SLAs, but the purchasing and labour costs and the invoicing, so that a margin can readily be produced for each job, and projects at various phases are easily identified.
Using a Microsoft Access user interface and a SQL Azure hosted database we built a budget tool, which allowed the creation of a "shopping list" against which the site managers could request materials, and purchase orders could then be raised. Deliveries are then logged, and invoices logged for payment.
The solution is written in Microsoft Access with a SQL Server database behind it.
By moving everything into a database, we have eliminated a lot of duplication, and have also been able to simplify the administrative process quite considerably.
We have been able to take advantage of the ability of a database to "push" information to the user, whereas with a spreadsheet you have to filter it and go looking for the information you need, making it much harder to endure that everything has been covered.
As well as the redesign, we have reformatted and migrated all the order data across for continuity.
We stepped aside from the development project and undertook an analysis project, drawing up a specification and preparing an invitation to tender.
This enabled the client to collect a new batch of estimates, all much more in line with each other, and this enabled the client to engage a provider and move on with the development project.